myCHS Log in Login/Register

Looking to Rent

If you would like to apply to rent one of our homes, please apply online via Homelink or ask for advice at your local council. Unfortunately these homes are often in short supply and we are unable to hold waiting lists. Please seek advice from your local council about other housing options. See our FAQs for how to apply. View properties

Renting with CHS

  • We offer tenancies of our available homes to people who have registered with Homelink and expressed an interest (called ‘bidding’) in that home
  • You would need to be highly placed on a shortlist for that particular home to be considered for it
  • If you are at risk of becoming homeless, your local council will provide urgent advice and in some cases may be obliged to find you emergency accommodation

Looking to rent image

Where do I start?

If you can’t afford to rent a property privately you may be able to live in one of our rented homes. Contact your local council and register online with Homelink.  Your local council will assess your needs, looking at things like whether you’re overcrowded where you live now, and taking any medical or social requirements you have into account.

How does it work?

Most local authorities now use a choice-based lettings scheme, which means that available properties are advertised through their website. You can search for, and bid on, any property you want, giving you much more choice. Five steps to renting a home from us:

  • Register with Homelink
  • Use the Homelink website to look for a suitable home
  • Bid for the suitable homes you prefer.
  • If you are shortlisted for the property, we will visit you for a pre-tenancy assessment with you to make sure the home is right for you.
  • If you are successful we will offer you the property. Before moving in we will need at least your first week’s rent payment in advance.

Looking to Rent - Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for a CHS house for rent?

All of our available homes are advertised on the Home-Link website.

Do I need to be registered on Home-Link?

Yes, you need to submit an application online with proof of ID.

Are there any properties that I cannot apply for?

Sometimes there is a local connection requirement on some properties which would be included but these clauses are included in the advert for the property.

How often are the properties advertised?

The properties are advertised weekly on Home-Link.

How many properties can I apply or bid for?

You can apply for up to three properties at one time.

How will I find out if I am successful?

We will contact several people who are most likely to be successful to see if they are still interested and send out application forms and arrange a home visit.

If I am successful and offered a property, what sort of tenancy will I receive?

Your initial tenancy will be a starter tenancy for one year which, if there are no problems, will automatically convert to an assured tenancy for as long as you need it. This will be subject to you keeping to the terms of the tenancy.

How long does it take from my 'bid' for a property to moving into the property?

This process can vary but it normally takes four to six weeks, depending on any works needed and references coming back to us. You may be asked to make a decision more quickly if the home is already available.

Can I view the property before moving in?

Yes, an appointment will be made for you to view the property with the area’s Housing Officer. If you both agree it’s a suitable home for you, a time will then be arranged for the tenancy agreement to be signed.

How can I pay my rent?

The ideal way is by Direct Debit, which takes about 2 weeks to set up after your first payment which you can pay by cheque when you get your keys. Find out more about ways to pay your rent.  

Does CHS carry out repairs and if so, which repairs?

Please see the tenancy handbook which will tell you which repairs are your responsibility and which repairs CHS is responsible for.

Does CHS offer contents insurance?

No, it is your responsibility to ensure your house contents are insured.

Does CHS maintain the gardens?

No, you are responsible for keeping your front and back gardens clear and tidy.

How much notice do I have to give if I want to move out?

You will need to submit written notice of four weeks starting from the first available Monday.

Chat Live now!

Chat with CHS now!

LiveChat is available 9 - 5, Monday to Friday (except Thursday 1.00 - 2.30).