Accessibility statement for The Cambridge Housing Society Limited (CHS Group)
This accessibility statement applies to the following websites owned and managed by The Cambridge Housing Society Limited.
CHS Group aims to make this website accessible to all visitors. To achieve this goal, we have installed ReadSpeaker screen reader technology, icon located in the top right corner of our pages, which means that users can access most of the website and should be able to:
- Highlight text as it is read aloud by choosing a colour for highlighting words or choose to underline them or not highlight them at all
- Control the behaviour of synchronised highlighting i.e., word and sentence, word only or sentence only or not highlighting
- Control whether or not the text-selection pop-up menu should be displayed when text is selected and whether or not the text-selection pop-up menu should close automatically, and if so, after how many seconds.
- Control the font style, font size and font colour/background
- Control speech volume and speed of the audio speech
- Select the block of text to read by hovering mouse over content
- Navigate the page mask rule to highlight text and adjust mask depth
- Download an MP3 audio file recording of content read
- Read web pages and skip parts or blocks of content
- Ensure audio is never played automatically and the user always has full control of audio playback, volume, position etc via mouse, keyboard or touch screen
- There are no timing functions on content that is altered e.g., there is no ‘time out’
- Move and scroll elements to show reading position and provide text highlighting in parallel with the text-to-speech audio, fully controlled by the user
- Distinguish foreground information from its background
- Navigate most of the website using just a keyboard ensuring that the keyboard user cannot be trapped in content requiring the use of other input methods
- Avoid content that could cause seizures due to photosensitivity
- Find content, orient themselves within it and navigate through it by bypassing blocks of content that are repeated on multiple web units
- Translate words or text into preferred supported language
- Look up selected words in the online dictionary for clear understanding of text
- Ensure that if any area of the page receives focus, it does not cause a change of context e.g., opens a new window or moves to another page
- Ensure compatibility with current and future software including assistive technologies
- We have also made the website text and terminology as simple as possible to understand.
Our text-to-speech player tool ReadSpeaker conforms to the latest web standards (HTML5/CSS3), which means fewer images and a user-friendly design, and it is a technically accessible application, satisfying all Level A and Level AA success criteria of the WCAG 2.0 specification. For more information please visit (link to PDF of Accessibility Conformance Report for ReadSpeaker webReader).
Feedback and contact information
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille:
Telephone: 0300 1113555
We will consider your request and get back to you in 14 days.
If you cannot view the map on our ‘contact us’ page, call, email us or contact us online
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We are always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we are not meeting accessibility requirements, contact: email@example.com or call 0300 1113555
Contacting us by phone or visiting us in person
We provide a text relay service for people who are deaf, hearing impaired or have a speech impediment.
Our offices have audio induction loops, or if you contact us before your visit, we can arrange a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter.
Find out how to contact us here
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
CHS Group is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
Whilst we have installed ReadSpeaker to our website we are aware that parts of our website are not fully accessible, and we are currently working to resolve this.
This website is fully compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard.
Our text-to-speech player tool conforms to the latest web standards (HTML5/CSS3), which means fewer images and a user-friendly design, and it is a technically accessible application, satisfying all Level A and Level AA success criteria of the WCAG 2.0 specification.